Format: Building Site Workshop in Santa Fe, NM
Dates: October 6 to 8, 2017
Workload: 8 hours per day (9am to 5pm)
Description: One of the best ways to learn the basics of adobe construction is to build an horno (earth oven). All of the basic steps of adobe house construction are covered in the oven build:
- We install a small foundation for the oven using recycled concrete materials.
- We perform soil tests and make adobe bricks.
- Adobe bricks and mortar are used to build the walls of the oven base.
- When the base is finished we install a brick on sand floor which serves as the baking surface of the oven.
- An earthen roof technique is used to build the oven dome.
- The oven is finished with a natural earthen plaster.
This workshop is being offered from October 6 to 8, 2017 (Friday to Sunday) in conjunction with the upcoming Earth USA 2017 Earthbuilding Conference (taking place from Friday, September 29 to Monday, October 1). The workshop is being held at a very special property on the south side of Santa Fe, New Mexico.